The Odisha State Museum under Odia Language Literature and Culture Department is one of the biggest and most visited museums in the State. Located in Bhubaneswar, the museum was established in 1932 by two noted professors of Ravenshaw College in Cuttack, the then capital of Odisha. About six years later in 1938, the Government of Odisha, as per an official notification, upgraded the museum’s status to a Provincial Museum of the state. It went further and appointed a management committee comprising the Principal of the college, along with three Professors and Head of the History department to manage the museum.
With help from the general public and the Indian government’s Archeological Department and that of the other states, the office bearers were able to collect more exhibits for the museum with the passing of time. In the beginning, the museum had a good collection of specimens of fine arts, sculptures, copper plates, and numismatics and terracotta artifacts; however, they were not kept in a categorical manner. Later on, the stone sculptures were grouped as per different art forms, namely Odisha art, Gandhara art and North Indian art. These were further sub-categorized into Brahmanical, Jain and Buddhist. The terracotta artifacts and coins were rearranged as per their type, age and place of discovery.
After India’s independence, the city of Bhubaneswar was made the capital of Odisha and with this; the Provincial Museum too was shifted to the new state capital. The collection of exhibits grew manifold with time and as a result, there was a need for a new building. This led to the construction of the present-day building.
The foundation stone of the new building was laid on 29th December 1957 by the then President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad. In 1960, the construction of the museum building, along with an auditorium, guest house and the administrative block was completed. In the same year, the exhibits were moved to the new building and it was named as the Odisha State Museum.
Know More : odishamuseum.nic.in